- Motorcycle riders attacked a Police station in Ikorodu and attempted to burn it down, following the death of their colleague
- After being prevented from carrying out the act, they proceeded to burn a Police van and attack an officer
- The attackers blamed the policemen for being responsible for the death of their colleague who had an accident as he tried to evade a checkpoint
- 63 okada riders have been arrested for burning the Police vehicle and would be charged to court for arson
A mob made up of motorcycle riders attacked the Ibeshe Police Station in Ikorodu, Lagos with stones, bottles and attempted to burn it down, on Wednesday, May 30.
The attack came following the death of a motorcycle rider, identified as Paul, aka Baba Ezine, in the early hours of Wednesday; and residents claimed the death was caused by the Police, REAL GIST NAIJA reports.
gathers that policemen attached to the station however fired shots and prevented the mob from carrying out their action; and reinforcements were also called in.
After retreating, the mob however attacked a policemen in sight and also burnt a patrol vehicle in the area.
Narrating how the motorcycle driver had met his demise, a resident said the Ebonyi state indigene had gotten involved in an accident as he tried to evade a Police checkpoint.
She said: “The man was taking a passenger somewhere on Tuesday (May 29) when he ran into the Police checkpoint. He tried to evade the policemen, but crashed into a gutter. People said the policemen chased him into the gutter.
“After the accident, the Police operatives, instead of taking him to a hospital, left him in the gutter. They, however, seized his motorcycle, which they took to their station.
“The man’s friends later took him to a hospital where he died this morning (Wednesday). The man’s kinsmen and colleagues from Abakaliki, Ebonyi state, mobilised and took his corpse to the palace of the Baale of Owode, who urged them to be calm and promised to do something.
“From the palace, they took his remains to the Police station. The Police fired shots into the air to scare them away. That was when they found a Police van which they burnt.”
Another resident disclosed that the deceased had recently lost his wife and mother.
The resident said: “Paul’s wife died in September 2017, while his mother, who came from the village to take care of their five children, died in February 2018. Since then, he lived alone with the children in the Owode Labake area.”
A community leader who spoke on the condition of anonymity alleged that innocent residents had been arrested by the Police, in a bid to identify those who burnt the patrol vehicle.
The public relations officer of the Lagos state Police Command, SP Chike Oti, however stated that the attack on the station was unwarranted, and that those responsible would be brought to book.
In his words: “The Lagos state Police Command notes with regret, the unfortunate burning of a Police patrol van stationed at a black spot in Ibeshe, in the Ipakodo area of Ikorodu, Lagos state, by irate motorcyclists, aka okada riders, around 10.45am today (Wednesday).
“The incident was occasioned by an encounter between policemen manning the black spot and an okada rider plying the route way beyond the Lagos state approved time of 10pm.
“As he approached the police pin down point, the Police team observed that he carried a passenger with a big bag placed between him and the rider, and so they flagged him down.
“But instead of obeying the Police signal, the okada man increased his speed in order to evade Police scrutiny. Sadly, he ended up in a ditch and passed on, while his associate with the suspicious bag vanished into thin air.
“However, around 10am today, okada riders sympathetic to their late colleague mobilised in their thousands and attempted to burn the Ibeshe Police post. They were resisted.
“So, they moved and found a softer target, which was a Police van stationed at a known black spot in Ibeshe, and set it ablaze.
“The CP Lagos has directed that the 63 okada riders arrested for burning the Police vehicle should be charged to court for arson. He has also directed the officer-in-charge, legal, to file a motion to a court of competent jurisdiction to surcharge the suspects for the purchase of another Police patrol vehicle.”
Oti further stated that destruction of Police property would no longer be condoned; and that in the future, firearms may be used to stop such actions.
He called on residents to register their grievances against Police action with the authorities for appropriate action.
Meanwhile, REAL GIST NAIJA previously reported that a policeman caused the death of two passersby in Oyo state after his attempt to hijack a truck loaded with firewood failed.
The incident angered residents of the area who made attempts to attack the Police station where the officer operated from.
Are Nigerian Policemen the worst in the world? - on
REAL GIST NAIJA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hcfEl-DEE
The Nigerian Army has intercepted a container full of weapons on Igunwa Road, Balogun village, in Ogun state on Wednesday, May 30.
According to Independent, only the army and members of the Nigeria Civil Defence Corps are allowed to take charge of the unfolding situation.
The destination of the weapons has not been confirmed nor whom the shipment belongs to.
state police command on Wednesday, April 4, said it has destroyed a gun making factory in the state.
According to the command, it also recovered a cache of 146 prohibited firearms and assorted ammunition that were in possession of unauthorised persons in the state, REAL GIST NAIJA notes that the recovery of the firearms was a result of the directive issued by the inspector general of police, Ibrahim Idris, that all illegal firearms and ammunition in circulation nationwide be mopped up.
The state commissioner of police, Titus Lamorde, said the command set up a task force headed by a deputy commissioner of police in charge of criminal investigation department, Oyeyemi Oyediran.
See the faces of newly arrested criminals on
REAL GIST NAIJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1DQUOAF8OI
Nigerian government yet to prosecute officials for diverting dates donated by Saudi Arabia
Updated: a minute ago
Author: REAL GIST NAIJA
Category: Local news
- 200 tonnes of dates donated by the Saudia Arabia to Nigerians were diverted and sold to Nigerians by government officials
- The discrepancy was noticed by the Saudi Arabia government who demanded for apology as the fruit were gifts and not meant to be sold
- The Nigerian government has since apologised to Saudi Arabia but those who diverted the fruit are yet to be prosecuted
The Nigeria government is yet to prosecute officials who allegedly diverted 200 tonnes donated to Nigerians by Saudi Arabia for profit purpose.
During the 2017 Ramadan fast, the government of Saudi Arabia had sent 200 tonnes of dates to Nigeria to be distributed freely to people displaced by Boko Haram as well as Muslims fasting during the period but the fruit was instead sold by Nigerian officials.
Although the Nigerian government has since apologised to its Saudi Arabia counterpart for the shameful act, Premium Times reports that none of the officials involved in diverting the fruit has been arrested or prosecuted.
While reacting to the lack of action by the Nigerian government to prosecute the culprits, Lanre Suraj of the Civil Society Network Against Corruption said the act is a smear on the integrity of Nigeria.
He said: “It deprives other people that would need support of other international organisation and countries in future. Actually, the fight against corruption and corrupt practices are not actually limited between the Naira and Kobo, it is the abuse of office.
“The federal government must not only prosecute but investigate the outcome of the distribution and make the investigation, prosecution and sanction public of those who are connected.
“I don’t think it is a very difficult task to embark and achieve, if some of those dates were sold on the street of Abuja and Borno, then it is not only easy to arrest those who are selling it, but extract information from them.”
REAL GIST NAIJA earlier reported that Saudi Arabia has donated $10 million (N3.6 billion) in cash, arms and relief material to tackle the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria.
The leader of the Saudi Arabian delegation announced the donation during a visit to the minister of defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, on Monday, March 5.
Nasir Bin Mutlak said the aid package which is in cash and military equipment was aimed at assisting the displaced persons in the northeast and other essential needs of the military.
What is working well and what needs improvement in Nigeria? - REAL GIST NAIJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiv8wDQBDJs
I will contest for Kaduna guber race against El-Rufai in 2019, Sani declares
Human rights activist and senator representing Kaduna Central Zone , Shehu Sani , has said that the days of Governor Nasir El -Rufai in office are numbered following his decision to contest against him in the 2019 governorship election .
Besides, Sani also said that he would soon officially decamp from the ruling All Progressives Congress ( APC) to one of the opposition parties where he will vie for the post to challenge El -Rufai .
The senator , who spoke in an interview at the weekend, said the attacks and killings by Boko Haram insurgents and Fulani herdsmen would affect the political fortune of the APC during the presidential and governorship elections in many states .
According to him : “ It was very clear that the results of the recently- conducted local council elections in Kaduna State did not reflect what happened .
Even , there was no ward congress in the state; they just wrote list of names and submitted and this situation has worsened the internal crisis among those who used their money to buy forms .
“ Let it be known to Governor El -Rufai that I am contesting against him in 2019 governorship election in the state. The election will not be conducted by the state electoral commission.
Read More : APC will challenge PDP’ s LG election victory in court — El Rufai
It will be conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC ) and every Nigerian shall defend their votes openly. ”
In another development, the Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission ( NASIEC ) yesterday declared that the APC won in all the 13 local councils in the state.
Chairman of NASIEC , Henry Omaku, who announced the results of the election at the commission’ s headquarters in Lafia, said : “ The All Progressives Congress has pulled the highest votes in all the 13 local councils and declared winner. ”
2019: How election rigging can end in Nigeria – Soyinka
NEWS
Published on May 31, 2018
By REAL GIST NAIJA
RELATED TOPICS:
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka yesterday said tackling corruption would address electoral rigging that has dented Nigeria’s democratic system.
Soyinka spoke at the 60th birthday colloquium of the Executive Editor, The News/PM News, Mr. Kunle Ajibade entitled: “A Brighter Future for Nigeria and how to get there.”
Prof. Soyinka said: “If we can solve issues of corruption, we will also be addressing cases of election rigging. This is because there is a direct nexus between that level of corruption and the degradation of democratic process that we have witnessed in the country.
“If we had solved the cases properly, it would have helped curb corruption and solve the issue of democratic failure in Nigeria.”
While speaking on his thinking before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, prosecuted former Inspector General of Police, Tafa Balogun, Soyinka hinted that he believed top echelon in the force were untouchable.
He said: “Among those that I believe were untouchable before were the police but not those that were on the streets harassing and collecting money from people. I know that of all government institutions, the police were often involved in profiling corrupt persons. But the question that later baffled me was who then corrupted the police? Who made sure that the agencies enforcing law were corrupt?
“And that was why when I met former EFCC chairman, Malam Nuhu Ribadu after former IGP, Tafa Balogun was arrested, I emphasised that the job of fighting corruption doesn’t end with the person holding the money but also how he got the money or how the money got into his bank account.”
What Fayemi said after he resigned from Buhari govt
NEWS
Published on May 31, 2018
BY REAL GIST NAIJA
RELATED TOPICS:
Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi
announced his resignation from the federal cabinet on Wednesday.
Fayemi’s resignation, which was approved by the President, is to enable him contest the July 14th, Ekiti State Governorship election, as the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The Minister announced his resignation at a valedictory press briefing held at the Ministry’s conference room.
He also used the occasion to give accounts of his stewardship in the ministry, which he headed for two and a half years, admitting that the sector has indeed met its set goals of increasing its contribution to the national GDP.
In his remarks, he said: “As part of the support we received from the Natural Resources Fund, the Ministry has finalized exploration initiatives totalling N15 billion allowing successful entities help with the exploration of priority minerals like Gold, Lead, Zinc, Rare earth metals to mention a few.
“We have initiated the establishment of the National Minerals Commission (NMC), which would harmonise the functions of the Cadastre Office and a number of key departments in the ministry, under a unified administrative structure for greater efficiency and effectiveness in sector governance. This has been approved by the FEC and passed 2nd reading at the National Assembly.
“We have reinvigorated our Mines Surveillance efforts, with the deployment of newly trained and empowered officers across the federation.
“Infrastructure required for the proper functioning of the minerals and mining ecosystem such as railroads, competitive financing systems, mine and asset security and related support services are being developed in concert with other government entities. For instance, as part of our efforts to de-risk the sector, we are in discussions with the Bank of Infrastructure, as part of a consortium, to attract private capital investments for critical mining infrastructure.
“In order to encourage beneficial participation of state governments in the mining sector, we have gotten approval for the implementation of the constitutionally guaranteed 13% derivation for mineral revenue to states, similar to the derivation that oil-producing states currently enjoy from the federation accounts.
“We have delivered on the objective of building a collaborative sector security framework by working extensively with state governments and relevant ministries to formalize and manage our artisanal miners, while also working with defence and security agencies to curb the actions of illegal mining in the country.
“We also recorded progress in resolving the legal issues around our legacy projects, particularly Ajaokuta. We have signed a Modified Concession Agreement (MCA) that has allowed for the commencement of the return of the entity to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
“We have in place a timeline of action which would see the legacy plant become operational in the near future. We are at this time concluding an audit process, further to which we would fully take over the plant. We are taking the most appropriate steps in our national interest to ensure Ajaokuta is finally put to work after several false starts in the past.
“On ALSCON, we have also made significant progress in our efforts to bring the Company back to life with the approval of the National Council on Privatisation that the company be given to UC Rusal with clear conditionalities for resuscitation.
“Development of IT integrated Automation and interactive Web portal for the MMSD to create One Stop Shop online interface for investors and other players in the sector to obtain data on a broad range of subjects about our jurisdiction, and process a number of key applications from anywhere in the world.
“Launched a N5 billion fund (made up of N2.5 billion by SMDF & a counterpart fund of N2.5 billion by Bank of Industry) to provide single digit interest loans to Artisanal and Small & Medium scale miners.
It was a press briefing with an unusual outpouring of emotions, as the Minister of State, Hon Bwari and the Permanent Secretary poured encomium on the outgoing minister.
Fayemi said: “On one hand, I have a deep sense of pride about my contributions to the landmark achievements we have been able to achieve in the sector, and I am thus transitioning out with my head held high. On the other hand, I am overwhelmed by emotions as I bid goodbye to a sector that I, together with other patriots have invested a great deal of passionate and patriotic efforts over the past two years.
“My sincere thanks and appreciation goes to His Excellency Mr. President and His Excellency the Vice President for the visionary leadership and prioritization of the sector; as well as to my ministerial colleague, Hon. Abubakar Bawa Bwari – Minister of State.
“I similarly acknowledge the support of the previous Permanent Secretaries in the ministry, Mr. Istifanus Fuktur and Mr. Mohammed Abbas, as well as the current Permanent Secretary, Dr. Abdulkadir Mu’azu, the entire Staff of the Ministry as well as all players and stakeholders in the industry.”
A much watch payback comedy
https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3PF83tmhUA (From PHX Browser)
By prinzyboi
Comments
Post a Comment